COTTON BUILDING

518 Main Street

 

This building has served as a grocery story, hardware store, antique store, and even city hall. It was built in the 1890s on the former site of the Arlington Hotel. In the 1920s and 30s, it was used by the Oxford Fire Department as “fire hall,” and from the 1920s-1952 it was Oxford’s city hall. 

In 1979, Oscar Cotton, a local pastor, veteran, and businessman, purchased the building where it became Cotton Furniture. Today, it is Cotton Antiques.

Research by Hunter Chase Gentry and written by Julie Mangum Skinner, November 2023

 
Image


The Oxford Cleaners Building and the Cotton Building on Main Street, ca. 1900. 

The Cotton Building served as Oxford's fire hall and first permanent city hall. 

Courtesy of The Anniston Star, 29 November 1957. 

Image



Main Street looking north from the intersection of Snow Street and Spring Street, ca. 1910.

The Cotton Building is pictured to the left. The photo was taken before the facade was altered to what it appears presently.  

Courtesy of Oxford Public Library- Oxford Room Collection. 

Image


Cotton Building on Main Street, 1953. 

In October 1953, Cyrus Kitchens and W. A. Lipham opened an appliance and household supply store at 518 Main Street. 

Courtesy of The Anniston Star, 11 October 1953. 

Image


Cotton Building on Main Street, ca. 1979. 

In 1979, Oscar Cotton purchased the former Landers Furniture Store, later renaming it Cotton Furniture. 


Courtesy of Oxford Public Library- Oxford Room Collection.