BUTENSCHON DRUG COMPANY BUILDING
424 & 426 Main Street
This location was originally the first brick store in Oxford, but was rebuilt in 1884 after the fire in 1883.
Frank Butenschon opened his business, Butenschon Drug Company, in 1931. Prior to opening his own business, Butenschon was a pharmacist for Palace Drug Company and Privett Drug Company.
Research by Hunter Chase Gentry and written by Julie Mangum Skinner, November 2023
Interior of Butenschon Drug Company on Main Street, ca. 1950s.
Mr. Butenschon is seated in the back wearing the tie.
Courtesy of Shirley Mellon Dewberry.
Butenschon Drug Company on Main Street, ca. 1979.
The drug store served as a soda fountain, pharmacy, and a bus stop for a number of decades.
Courtesy of Oxford Public Library- Oxford Room Collection.
Butenschon Drug Company, ca. 1980s.
In March 1988, Butenschon Drug merged with Harco City Drug in Anniston.
Courtesy of Lindblom Photo Collection.
Frank Butenschon, Sr. (1887-1974)
Butenschon was the owner and operator of Butenschon Drug Company. He was educated in Anniston City Schools and graduated from Vanderbilt University. Butenschon was the city clerk under the Cooper Administration and was involved with the Oxford Chamber of Commerce and Lion’s Club.
Courtesy of Public Library of Anniston-Calhoun County.