FIRST NATIONAL BANK OF OXFORD

430 Main Street

 

Daniel Draper and his two sons, William W. Draper and James R. Draper, opened the first bank in Oxford here in the fall of 1866–D.D. Draper & Sons. The Drapers were not only bankers, but merchants and cotton dealers, as well. A fire destroyed the building in December of 1883, it was rebuilt in 1884, and that very building still stands today. 

In 1888, D.D. Draper & Sons and Davis C. Cooper consolidated to form a state bank–the Bank of Oxford. In 1903 it became known as First National Bank of Oxford, and was instrumental in the financial stability and growth of Oxford. The bank had branches extend to Cleburne, Randolph, Clay, and Talladega County.

In 1911, the building became a two-story and the marble facade was added. After the bank closed in 1932, several business were housed there. Soon, it will be home to a 1920s themed restaurant and bar.

Research by Hunter Chase Gentry and written by Julie Mangum Skinner, November 2023

 
Image


Interior view of the Bank of Oxford, ca. 1908. 

Left to right is Davis C. Cooper, Elbert T. Allen, and Oliver W. Cooper

Courtesy of Tull Wigley. 

Image


First National Bank of Oxford on Main Street, ca. 1940s. 

Dr. Thomas J. Patton's office was located in the upper level of the bank. Offices were located in the rear of the bank. 

Courtesy of the Public Library of Anniston-Calhoun County (PLACC). 

Image


First National Bank of Oxford on Main Street, ca. 1920s. 

Courtesy of The Birmingham News, 18 December 1921. 

 

Image


Davis Clay Cooper (1866 - 1943), President of the First National Bank of Oxford. 

Courtesy of Oxford Public Library- Oxford Room Collection.