GWIN BUILDING

16 East Choccolocco Street

 

Now a restaurant with delicious smells wafting through the streets of downtown Oxford, this building was originally built in 1901 by Thad M. Gwin and operated as mercantile shop. Gwin was dedicated to the growth and development of Oxford, serving as a city council member and chairman of the building committee for the Oxford Loyal Loan School.

From the 1940s - 1991, Moore-King Hardware store thrived here, and in 2015 the building underwent extensive restoration. Today, it is home to one of Oxford’s tastiest restaurants and prime location for events– Hubbard’s Off Main.

Research by Hunter Chase Gentry and written by Julie Mangum Skinner, November 2023

 
Image


Thad M. Gwin and Co. on East Choccolocco Street, c. 1901. 


Photo courtesy of The Anniston Star, 6 March 1934. 

Image


Thad M. Gwin with employees, left to right- Frank Gwin, Joe Higginbotham, Sam Aderholt, Asa Allen, Thad M. Gwin, Flora Powell, Kate Cooper, Clara Wright, and Fannie Montgomery, c. 1901. 

Photo courtesy of Public Library of Anniston-Calhoun County. 

Image


Advertisment for the new Thad M. Gwin and Co. at East Choccolocco Street, 1901. 



Courtesy of The Anniston Star, 23 September 1901. 

Image


Gwin Building on East Choccolocco Street, ca. 1979. 

Moore-King Hardware operated from the building from the 1940s - 1991. 

Courtesy of Oxford Public Library- Oxford Room Collection.